Why Christie Is Passionate About Working in Family Law
Christie is passionate about working in family law – divorce, custody, and child support – because nothing is more important to your social, emotional, spiritual, physical, and financial success than having in a healthy long-term romantic relationship and being able to regularly spend adequate time with your children. Who you partner with is the most important decision that you will make because that person could improve your life or destroy it!
Why Does Christie Work Separately From an Attorney?
I work separately from attorneys because a transformative mediator named Dan Simon of Simon Mediation in MN and CA, who was an attorney first, believes in keeping family law matters of divorce and custody out of the court and explained to me how I could help folks through divorce and custody cases. Family law matters are better handles by the parties because the court doesn’t know each divorce or custody situation like they do. In addition, the parties will be much likely to buy into the result of a divorce or custody case if they were the creators of those results. Therefore, they will be more likely to follow through on the court’s orders and less likely to end up in court again with Motions For Enforcement of a Judgement and Decree or Parenting Time Assistance or To Modify Custody and Parenting Time. Some parties end up in court every year because they don’t buy into their custody agreement. $Cha ching! Dan and I don’t want people trapped in endless conflict by lawyers and judges.
The other reason that I work separately from an attorney is that I truly enjoy saving people $! I charge 2/3 less than the average attorney. I also give a 20% discount to my heroes – military folks, law enforcement and corrections officers, firefighters, teachers, psychologists, social workers, and veterans of those careers. I was a corrections officer and teacher in my past lives. I also give the discount to moderate-income folks.
Why Christie Is Highly Qualified to Work in Family Law
Christie’s Work Experience
- I have been working separately from an attorney for people whom are involved in or would like to start a divorce, child custody, and/or child support case in Minnesota since February 2013. I usually work out of my home in Twin Cities. I also office out of Officenters in Woodbury, Bloomington, Edina, N.E. Minneapolis, and Minnetonka. However, I provide services to clients who have a case in a MN court and live anywhere in the world. Technology rocks!
- I worked as a family law paralegal for Shannon M. Fitzpatrick, J.D., of Minneapolis from March 2012 to January 2014. I assisted her with child custody, child support, divorce, and grandparent visitation cases. During that time, I gained experience working with many people and organizations, including custody evaluators, parenting consultants, financial institutions, credit card companies, credit reporting agencies, real estate property recorders’ offices, real estate property and personal property evaluators, child support offices, and family law and child support courts. I worked mostly out of my home in Cottage Grove.
- I worked as a family law paralegal for Matthew E. Ludt, J. D., of Stillwater from May 2014 to August 2015. I assisted him with divorce, child custody, and child support cases. I worked out of my home in Cottage Grove.
- In addition, I was a personal bankruptcy prefiling paralegal at Lamey Law Firm in Oakdale in 2011.
Christie’s Education and Training
- On-the-job training provided by Shannon M. Fitzpatrick, J. D., then in Minneapolis, Minnesota, from March 2012 to January 2014 and Matthew E. Ludt, J.D., Stillwater, Minnesota, from May 2014 to August 2015;
- Continuing Legal Education classes and other trainings offered by Minnesota Paralegal Association and Minnesota State, Ramsey County, and Hennepin County Bar Associations; on going;
- Hamline University – Paralegal Certificate, including applicable courses in Civil Litigation, Real Estate Law, Criminal Law, Legal Research and Writing, Rules of Evidence, and Alternative Dispute Resolution and an internship at Dougherty, Molenda, Solfest, Hills, & Bauer in Apple Valley, Minnesota learning and working in estate, probate, real estate, business, and personal injury law; 4.0 g.p.a.; 2009; basic estate law knowledge self-taught;
- Minnesota Correctional System – investigation and writing trainings; 2006; and
- Hamline University – B. A. in Political Science Public Service and Legal Studies Minor; 1995; 3.74 g.p.a.; Mock Trial – made it to regional competition yearly 1991 to 1995.
Christie’s Honors & Awards
- Pi Gamma Mu, international social sciences honor society for undergraduate college students – 1993.
- Dean’s List at Hamline University – every semester while earning B.A. from 1991 to 1995 and and Paralegal Certificate from 2008 to 2009.
Professional Associations and Groups that Christie Belongs To
- Minnesota State Bar Association since 2013.
- Minnesota Legal Professionals (legal networking group that I lead) since 2011.
- ChristieLegal has saved clients thousands to tens of thousands of $ compared to hiring an attorney! Attorneys charge $200 to $550 per hour, and she charges $85 per hour. In addition, she offers a 20% discount to her heroes – military members, law enforcement and corrections officers, firefighters, teachers, psychologists, social workers, and veterans of those careers – and moderate-income folks.
- ChristieLegal has shortened the divorce process for her clients. The process is usually longer when attorneys are involved because more legal steps are required and some attorneys are less likely to encourage their client to settle easily.
- ChristieLegal has had many satisfied clients. Here are reviews from a few of them:
“I highly recommend Christie L. Thompson, paralegal, as a highly skilled family law professional. Christie was a godsend in assisting my ex-husband and I to achieve an amicable, inexpensive, and speedy divorce. Her meticulous work on our divorce petition was deemed impeccable by the judge, which meant we did not need to set a court date since our divorce was accepted on the first proposal. I am very grateful for her ability to bring a calm resolution at a difficult time.” – Deborah Cavitt, St. Paul, on http://www.linkedin.com/in/christielthompson in July 2014
“After 8 years, my ex-wife and I made the difficult decision to finally get a divorce. My ex-wife was looking into lawyers that were asking for $4,000 up front, and I hadn’t even begun looking. Since my wife and I were nearly on the same page in dividing our assets, I suggested that we use Christie as a paralegal. Not only did we save nearly $10,000 dollars and months of fighting using Christie, but she also guided us through all the steps necessary to get to the end point as quickly and easily as possible. Christie articulated exactly what we would need to decide and brought up things that we hadn’t even thought of. When we submitted the divorce documents, there were no issues and the divorce process was quick. Using Christie is will save you thousands of dollars and headaches, and you won’t regret it.” – Joe G., Minneapolis, in April 2016
“Christie was wonderful. A kind and supportive professional that will guide you through one of the harder experiences in life. I have recommended her to others already.” – Colin A., S. St. Paul, on http://www.yelp.com in August 2016
“My ex and I worked with Christie to write our divorce decree in 2015. It was a difficult time but she made it less painful. She was prompt, fair, has personal and professional experience, and did a healthy amount of questioning to be sure my ex and I knew what we wanted. This is the way to go if you don’t want to get lawyers involved and is definitely more affordable.” – Amy Anderson, Minneapolis, on http://www.facebook/ChristieLegalMN/reviews in August 2017
“Christie worked with me through this most difficult process. She explained everything and made this whole thing less painful to me. I would recommend Christie to anyone who goes through this.” – Mary Mann, Cottage Grove, on http://www.facebook/ChristieLegalMN/reviews in June 2018
“Christie came highly recommended to me by a very well respected attorney. She assisted me in becoming familiar with the timing regarding the filing of divorce documents, so that I could clearly make the next steps. She really knows her stuff! Her knowledge and experience makes her a reliable paralegal. Christie is also helpful in a competent and compassionate way. She went above and beyond and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Christie to someone else who’s looking for a fantastic family law paralegal.” – Paul Jeannotte, Minneapolis, on http://www.linkedin.com/in/christielthompson in November 2015
“Christie is professional, thorough and overall great at what she does. I am thankful that we were able to use Christie as the process was respectful and collaborative. Our documents were in order quickly and Christie’s pricing was very reasonable.” – Talley Flora, Edina, on www.facebook/ChristieLegalMN/reviews in June 2018
“Christie helped me A LOT with my twin daughters. Very affordable AND professional! I recommend her to all single parents!” – Herman Abrams, on www.facebook/ChristieLegalMN/reviews in July 2017
How To Obtain Affordable Divorce, Custody, or Child Support Paralegal Services from ChristieLegal
- Contact Christie and tell her that you’d like a FREE 30 to 60 minutes initial consultation and what service(s) you’re interested in having her do. Contact Christie via email at email@example.com or text at (651)775-7899 or send her a message to http://www.linkedin.com/in/christielthompson or http://www.facebook.com/ChristieLegalMN.
- During the FREE initial consultation, ask questions regarding how Christie would handle your legal situation and the legal process for meeting your needs and provide Christie with info. regarding your legal situation.
- Provide Christie with a signed Contract, down payment, and case type-specific questionnaire completed to the best of your abilities.
If you’d like to download ChristieLegal’s advertising flyer for yourself or someone whom you care about, then please click 1 of the links below. The first link is for all prospective clients. The second link is for prospective clients whom I offer 20% discount to because of their hero career or financial status.