Why Christie Is Passionate About Working in Family Law Law
Christie is passionate about working in family law, i.e. child custody, child support, divorce, and grandparent visitation, because nothing is more important to your social, emotional, physical, and career/financial success than having in a healthy marriage or long-term romantic relationship and being able to regularly spend adequate time with your children.
Why Christie Is Highly Qualified to Work in Family Law
Christie’s Work Experience
- I have been working for people who have or would like to have a child custody, child support, divorce, and/or grandparent visitation case(s) in family court in Minnesota and don’t want the expense or additional drama and conflict of hiring an attorney since February 2013. I work out of my home in Cottage Grove, Minnesota.
- I worked as a family law paralegal for Shannon M. Fitzpatrick, J.D., of Minneapolis from March 2012 to January 2014. I assisted her with child custody, child support, divorce, and grandparent visitation cases. During that time, I gained experience working with many people and organizations, including custody evaluators, parenting consultants, financial institutions, credit card companies, credit reporting agencies, real estate property recorders’ offices, real estate property and personal property evaluators, child support offices, and family law and child support courts. I worked mostly out of my home in Cottage Grove, Minnesota.
- I worked as a family law paralegal for Matthew E. Ludt, J. D., of Stillwater from May 2014 to August 2015. I assisted him with divorce, child custody, and child support cases. I worked out of my home in Cottage Grove, Minnesota.
- In addition, I was a personal bankruptcy prefiling paralegal at Lamey Law Firm in Oakdale, Minnesota in 2011.
Christie’s Education and Training
- On-the-job training provided by Shannon M. Fitzpatrick, J. D., then in Minneapolis, Minnesota, from March 2012 to January 2014 and Matthew E. Ludt, J.D., Stillwater, Minnesota, from May 2014 to August 2015;
- Continuing Legal Education classes and other trainings offered by Minnesota Paralegal Association and Minnesota State, Ramsey County, and Hennepin County Bar Associations; on going;
- Hamline University – Paralegal Certificate, including applicable courses in Civil Litigation, Real Estate Law, Criminal Law, Legal Research and Writing, Rules of Evidence, and Alternative Dispute Resolution and an internship at Dougherty, Molenda, Solfest, Hills, & Bauer in Apple Valley, Minnesota learning and working in estate, probate, real estate, business, and personal injury law; 4.0 g.p.a.; 2009; basic estate law knowledge self-taught;
- Minnesota Correctional System – investigation and writing trainings; 2006; and
- Hamline University – B. A. in Political Science Public Service and Legal Studies Minor; 1995; 3.74 g.p.a.; Mock Trial – made it to regional competition yearly 1991 to 1995.
Christie’s Honors & Awards
- Pi Gamma Mu, international social sciences honor society for undergraduate college students – 1993.
- Dean’s List at Hamline University – every semester while earning both degrees from 1991 to 1995 and 2008 to 2009.
Professional Associations and Groups that Christie Belongs To
- Minnesota Paralegal Association – since 2008;
- Minnesota State Bar Association, including Family Law Section – since 2012; and
- Minnesota Legal Professionals (legal networking groups that I lead) – since 2011.
Client Recommendations for Christie as ChristieLegal:
“I highly recommend Christie L. Thompson, paralegal, as a highly skilled family law professional. Christie was a godsend in assisting my ex-husband and I to achieve an amicable, inexpensive, and speedy divorce. Her meticulous work on our divorce petition was deemed impeccable by the judge, which meant we did not need to set a court date since our divorce was accepted on the first proposal. I am very grateful for her ability to bring a calm resolution at a difficult time.” – Deborah Cavitt, St. Paul, MN, July 2014
“Christie came highly recommended to me by a very well respected attorney. She assisted me in becoming familiar with the timing regarding the filing of divorce documents, so that I could clearly make the next steps. She really knows her stuff! Her knowledge and experience makes her a reliable paralegal. Christie is also helpful in a competent and compassionate way. She went above and beyond and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Christie to someone else who’s looking for a fantastic family law paralegal.” – Paul Jeannotte, Minneapolis, Minnesota, November 2015
“After 8 years, my ex-wife and I made the difficult decision to finally get a divorce. My ex-wife was looking into lawyers that were asking for $4,000 up front, and I hadn’t even begun looking. Since my wife and I were nearly on the same page in dividing our assets, I suggested that we use Christie as a paralegal. Not only did we save nearly $10,000 dollars and months of fighting using Christie, but she also guided us through all the steps necessary to get to the end point as quickly and easy as possible. Christie articulated exactly what we would need to decide and brought up things that we hadn’t even thought of. When we submitted the divorce documents, there were no issues and the divorce process was quick. Using Christie is will save you thousands of dollars and headaches, and you won’t regret it.” – Joe G., Minneapolis, MN, April 2016
“Christie was wonderful. A kind and supportive professional that will guide you through one of the harder experiences in life. I have recommended her to others already.” – Colin A., S. St. Paul, MN, August 2016, on http://www.yelp.com